Steamboat Photos, Page 12
UPI news photo. The caption says:
October 8, 1974 PEORIA, Illinois
Peoria's third annual steamboat race ends with Peoria's JULIA BELLE SWAIN coming under the finish line well ahead of Cincinnati's DELTA QUEEN. The race was for five miles downstream and was completed in 33 minutes. The race is a part of the Steamboat Days celebration here. (United Press International)
Wisconsin's Fox and Wolf River steamboat WOLF acquired through eBay. A very small original print on thin paper but in pretty sharp focus.
Note door to the pilot house on the port side with short name board forward of it, believe there would have been another door on the starboard side as well.
Generous sized skylights for what must have been the boiler room. Only the one gent standing in front of the steep stairs moved and gave away the short time exposure. Even the lady and her dog stood still enough not to blur.
What follows is Jim Hale's comments on the vertical object with rectangular holes in it which is standing straight up on the main deck:
THE U. S. BETWEEN THE STACKS SUGGESTS THAT THE WOLF WAS A CORPS OF ENGINEERS BOAT.
THE THING THAT YOU THOUGHT MIGHT BE A SPAR MAY HAVE BEEN WHAT WAS CALLED A "SPUD."
A SPUD IS A LARGE POST THAT CAN BE LOWERED STRAIGHT THROUGH THE BOTTOM OF THE HULL AND INTO THE RIVER BOTTOM TO HOLD THE BOAT IN PLACE WHILE IT IS DOING HEAVY WORK LIKE PULLING SNAGS OR FOR HOLDING A BARGE WITH A PILE DRIVER ON IT.
THE SPUD SLIPS THROUGH A SLEEVE THAT IS BUILT INTO THE HULL FROM BOTTOM OF HULL UP THROUGH THE MAIN DECK.
THIS BOAT LOOKS SMALL FOR DOING SUCH HEAVY WORK BUT WHO KNOWS?
Attached from the Murphy of the ADAM JACOBS has always been a favorite of mine. The African American couple with their little girl on the hurricane roof and the Victorian fashions of all the ladies including two with parasols are charming. The upside down "waterfall" effect of the steam rising was probably due to a time exposure, only other blurs are down by the main deck which may have been the white jackets of stewards scampering aboard the boat. The front of the cabin with shuttered windows on the boiler deck looks very homey.
Photo Courtesy of Murphy Library at the University of Wisconsin - La Crosse
Steamboat Collection Photographs
Another favorite. The girl in white and the overall authenticity of the details give it a verisimilitude that few others convey as well. The Liberty at Alton, Illinois 1903.
Two photos by John Miller of the cabin aboard the former steam ferry CITY OF BATON ROUGE provided by co-owner Carrie Stier in recognition of the recent Centennial celebration of the ferry which serves as wharf boat for the riverboat TWILIGHT at LeClaire, Iowa.
The classic nautical architecture of the arches and skylights evokes a nostalgic glimpse of what passengers experienced on steamboats in the Mississippi valley during their long golden era on our inland waterways.
Adapted from an article in the Quad City News: Centennial birthday celebration and re-christening of the "City of Baton Rouge"
A centennial birthday celebration and re-christening of the former steam-powered ferryboat, City of Baton Rouge, was held on Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 1 p.m. on the LeClaire riverfront.
Hosting the celebration were Captain Kevin and Carrie Stier, co-owners of the Riverboat Twilight. Local river historian Judy Patsch served as christening official. Travis Vasconcelos, riverlorian and acting docent, gave a performance on the calliope. Historical commentary was provided by the editor of the S & D Reflector, Dave Tschiggfrie.
HISTORY OF THE CITY OF BATON ROUGE
The City of Baton Rouge was built in 1916 at the Howard Shipyard in Jeffersonville, Indiana, for the sum of $22,000. Operated by the Baton Rouge Transportation Company, she served as a ferry boat on the lower Mississippi river between Baton Rouge and Port Allen, Louisiana.
Her steam engines were manufactured in 1915 by the Gillett, Eaton and Squire Company of Lake City, Minnesota, and were required as part of the building contract to provide enough power to make a seven-minute crossing between the two landings.
She has a catamaran hull and was formerly powered by a single center paddle wheel. The City of Baton Rouge had a capacity for 500 passengers and 21 cars. She operated as a ferry until April 1968 when the opening of a new bridge over the Mississippi ended the need for ferry service.
About this time, Captain Dennis Trone was just beginning to realize his vision of building an authentic steam-operated riverboat. By November 1968, Captain Dennis Trone had completed the purchase of the City of Baton Rouge, and she was on her way upriver to Dubuque, Iowa, to have her steam engines, paddlewheel and other equipment salvaged for use on Trone's new steamboat, the Julia Belle Swain.
While at the shipyard in Dubuque, the City of Baton Rouge was remodeled to function as a dock boat for Trone's new excursion boat company operating out of Peoria, Illinois. A ticket booth was added, a full kitchen and food storage area was built in place of the center paddle wheel, the main deck was opened up to provide a sheltered area for passengers waiting to board the Julia Belle Swain, and eventually the upstairs passenger area was divided into small staterooms to house the crew.
On the evening of August 9, 1980, a strong thunderstorm—some say it was a tornado—blew through downtown Peoria, and the resulting winds tore off the old pilot house and damaged the roof, forever altering the iconic look of the historic ferryboat.
In 1987, the City of Baton Rouge was lashed to the front of Trone's newest excursion boat, the Riverboat Twilight, and Trone's fleet (the Julia Belle Swain, the Twilight, and the City of Baton Rouge) traveled downstream to Grafton, Illinois, and then up the Mississippi River to LeClaire, Iowa. The trip of almost 435 river miles took three full days. Traveling through the night required excellent piloting skills as the Twilight was most definitely not designed to do the work of a tow boat.
Once the trio arrived at LeClaire, the City of Baton Rouge was permanently moored to the shore and began her third career as the home dock for Trone's Mississippi River cruise operations. She continues to this day to serve as a passenger boarding area for the Riverboat Twilight. She also serves as storage area, workshop, and crew accommodations. Her second deck has the best seat in the house to watch LeClaire's annual TugFest fireworks.
During the centennial re-christening, in addition to celebrating 100 years of service for the City of Baton Rouge, the former ferry was also re-dedicated her to her last "Captain"— Captain Harry Alsman, who passed away in August 2014. One of the first LeClaire residents to come down to the riverfront to welcome the new riverboats to town, Alsman ended up with a second career, lifelong friends and countless memories.
He and his wife, Joanie, assumed responsibility for the City of Baton Rouge and the grounds where she was moored. Joanie started a beautiful garden, and Harry made sure the boat looked her best and was present to welcome every passenger.
Harry Alsman hauled the lines back to the wharf, waved to the passengers at every departure, and was always on time to throw out a line when the boat returned to the City of Baton Rouge. He knew every crew member and often just shook his head at their antics. He drove the crew to the bus station, the mall, the doctor, the hospital, and anywhere else they needed to go. He was a father figure, a shipmate, a co-conspirator, but most importantly, a friend to everyone.
This may be my favorite steamboat photo. Great pilot house detail and nice setting on the river with smoke, water, real but still sort of romantic. Will get it to Woody Rutter in hopes some S&D'r will recognize the location. G.W. Thomas 1901 - 1913. Fred Way said "She was quite some pumpkin, being highly regarded among river coal towing circles." Apparently a lot of work out of Pittsburgh. After she broke her shaft and dropped her wheel she was salvaged and rebuilt as the Alicia.
G.W. THOMAS was built in 1901 at Jeffersonville, Indiana by Howard Ship Yards
In 1913 she was sold, overhauled, and renamed ALICIA
Owned by Peoples Coal Company
Captain Jason D. Curtis (master); George R. Bower (chief engineer, 1903-07)
Way and Rutter's Steamboat Directory Number T0873
Home port or owner's residence circa 1901, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Original price, $10,500. Her engines came from a former ferryboat, MUSIC. The G. W. THOMAS was highly regarded among river coal towing circles. In January 1909 she broke her shaft, dropped her wheel overboard and struck Oldtown rocks, below Ravenswood, West Virginia. She lost 10 loads.
Walker Evans 1936 photo of the ferry GEORGE W. MILLER at Vicksburg
Attached celebrated photographer Walker Evans classic photo of the GEORGE W. MILLER taken at Vicksburg, Mississippi in February 1936. A lot of contrast and brightness adjustments had to be made from the large format that is reduced here. For comparison's sake am also attaching a La Crosse photo of the MILLER from the 1920's before her boiler deck was glazed in with windows. It appears that a dump truck is dropping tar on the main deck to surface it for traffic traffic from vehicles.
"Ferry GEORGE W. MILLER and wharf goods"
Black and white film transparency 4 x 5 inches
Library of Congress
GEORGE W. MILLER
Way's Packet Directory Number 2312
Built for the Mississippi River Ferry Company in 1926 at Jeffersonville, Indiana by Howard and used there along with the ferry CHARLES J. MILLER until the bridge was built. Both boats later were converted to excursion boats. The GEORGE W. MILLER was on the Coosa River in 1944 and later ran on the Chattahoochee River while owned by the Hardy Lines. The boat was sold for debt September 4, 1947 at Columbus, Georgia. It was sold June 1950 to Charles E. Gower and in 1952 to Thurston C. Crawford, both of Columbus, Georgia, and later it was dismantled
Walker Evans (November 3, 1903 - April 10, 1975) was an American photographer and photojournalist best known for his work for the Farm Security Administration (FSA) documenting the effects of the Great Depression. Much of Evans's work from the FSA period uses the large-format, 8x10-inch camera. He said that his goal as a photographer was to make pictures that are "literate, authoritative, transcendent". Many of his works are in the permanent collections of museums and have been the subject of retrospectives at such institutions as The Metropolitan Museum of Art or George Eastman House.
The levee at Vicksburg, Miss., February, 1864
Detail of 3 steamboats from the right eye of a Civil War stereoview taken in February, 1864 at Vicksburg, Mississippi. Library of Congress.
The JAMES WATSON left, the LUMINARY center and the WHITE CLOUD right.
The levee at Vicksburg, Miss., February, 1864
William Redish Pywell 1843-1886, photographer. In the Library of Congress.
Published by the The War Photograph & Exhibition Co., Hartford, Conn. February. 1864
"Stereograph showing steamboats at the dock. The Mississippi river in the background."
On the Left:
Way's Packet Directory Number 2954
Built in 1863 at Cincinnati, Ohio which was also her first home port.
Her Captain was John T. Watson.
She was in U.S. service most of 1864 in the Vicksburg-Memphis area.
Sank and was lost at Island 76 on the Mississippi River, near Caulk Neck Cut Off on March 2, 1865
When she sank, she had many passengers, 86 soldiers and a cargo of U.S. freight and Adams Express on board.
Thirty-five people were lost, including 20 soldiers, three women, two children and five male passengers and some deckhands.
The ISABELLA and the WILLIAM BUTLER came to the aid of the survivors.
In the Center:
Sidewheel packet boat
Way's Packet Directory Number 3644
Built in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1863. 260 x 42 x 7. Engines, 25's- 8 ft. Four boilers, each 44" by 26 ft. 1,023 tons.
She carried troops and supplies for the U.S. during the war. On April 2, 1863, came to the rescue of Tinclad #19 (formerly the ST. CLAIR) above Fort Donelson where Rebels had attacked. Ran St. Louis-New Orleans in the Atlantic & Mississippi Steamship Co., 1865, and was in the Anchor Line after that, Capt. William Blake.
In latter January 1867 was ice-bound at Hat Island, aground, in precarious shape along with ENTERPRISE, ANNA WHITE and W.B. DANCE. Took survivors from the wrecked CLERMONT at Helena, Ark., March 8, 1867.
Snagged and lost at Montezuma, 10 miles below Helena, Ark., Dec. 18, 1869. The hull was recovered and taken to Jeffersonville, Indiana, repaired, and in 1870 was sent to Hickman, Kentucky at a wharf boat.
On the Right:
1857 - 1867
Sidewheel packet boat
Way's Packet Directory 5769
Built in McKeesport, Pennsylvania, 1857. 345 tons. 200 x 35 x 5.5. Four boilers. Had double rudders. Reputation for speed.
Ran St. Louis-St. Paul, Capt. Alford, 1857. In 1858 was running up the Missouri River from St. Louis, Capt. James O'Neal, in the Great Mail and Transportation Co. Served as a transport during the war; handled the 7th Iowa Volunteers after Fort Donelson, taking them up the Tennessee to Pittsburg Landing; they lived aboard until the eve of the battle there. Was with Porter on Red River in 1864. Sank in ice at St. Louis Feb. 12, 1867; a gorge shoved her on top of the submerged wreck of the BELLE MEMPHIS.
North Missouri Railroad Company transfer steamer
ATTACHED PHOTO OF THE NORTH MISSOURI RAILROAD TRANSFER STEAMBOAT WAS SCANNED FROM A 5 X 8 INCH ALBUMEN PRINT WHICH HAD BEEN CUT FROM ITS ORIGINAL CARDBOARD MOUNT.
THE ROOTS WEB GENEALOGICAL SITE HAS A TRANSCRIPT OF AN 1870 PROMOTIONAL FLYER ADVERTISING THE NORTH MISSOURI RAILROAD AND ADJOINING LANDS TO PROSPECTIVE EMIGRANTS.
HAVE INCLUDED ONLY BRIEF EXCERPTS FROM THAT FLYER BELOW, THE ENTIRE TEXT CAN BE ACCESSED AT THIS LINK: http://rootsweb.ancestry.com/~momonroe/nmrcompany.htm
THIS PHOTOGRAPH WAS PROBABLY TAKEN AT A CROSSING SOMEWHERE ALONG THE MISSOURI RIVER.
North Missouri Railroad Company
St. Louis 1870
The North Missouri Railroad traverses a section of country bounded east, west, and south by the Missouri river, and north by the Des Moines, the portion of country now reached by the North Missouri railroad and its branches. It has an area of about 25,000 square miles, and comprises North Missouri and a few counties of Southeastern Iowa.
It extends from St. Louis to Kansas City, on the west, and to Bloomfield, Iowa on the north.
It is operated in three divisions:
Eastern Division (St. Louis to Moberly Junction)..............145 miles.
Western Division (Moberly Junction to Kansas City)........127 "
Northern Division (Moberly Junction to Bloomfield) .........112 "
The Hannibal and Moberly, and Hannibal and Naples railroads, now in course of construction, will form the link to a new and important route between the East and the West via North Missouri; Toledo, Wabash and Western; Lake Shore and New York Central line.
The distances by this new road will be:
Kansas City to Moberly . . . . . 127 miles.
Moberly to Hannibal . . . . . 70 "
Hannibal to Naples . . . . . 44 "
total . . . . . 241 miles.
With the exception of images credited to public institutions,
everything on this page is from a private collection.
Please contact Steamboats.com for permission for commercial use.*