Ephemera: Pins and Buttons
My favorite pin back which in style looks earlier than 1950 1.60 X 2.30 inches on folded edge on the back it says MIDWEST BADGE & NOVELTY CO. INC. - MINNEAPOLIS.
A couple of good sized Lions Club pins from Missouri Pin Traders: 1.80" X 3.00" MAYFLOWER (1999) 2.25 X 3.00 NATCHEZ
Self evident pin back button from 1966.
2.20 inch pin back button made for Winona, MINN's 34th annual Steamboat Days, June/July 1981
Winona, Minnesota June 27 - July 4, 1978
31st Annual STEAMBOAT DAYS - Badge No. 862
Winona Area Jaycees RIVERTOWN RENAISSANCE
2 1/4 inch pin back button
Once again it appears that the artist based the steamboat on the little White River (Arkansas) steamboat MARY WOODS No. 2 that was on display at Jacksonport, Arkansas until she sank and nobody wanted to pay the cost of restoring her so she was scrapped in 2011. The artist who painted the MARK TWAIN FOREVER postage stamp also used the MARY WOODS No. 2 as a model for his steamboat.
Member's lapel pin: International Organization of Masters, Mates & Pilots Lapel pin .65 inches in diameter for members of t he International Organization of Masters, Mates & Pilots or MM&P is a United States labor union representing licensed mariners. It is the marine division of the International Longshoremen's Association.
MM&P represents licensed deck officers on U.S.-flag commercial vessels sailing offshore, on the inland waterways and on civilian-crewed ships in the government fleet; state-licensed marine pilots; marine engineers; mariners who work on tug, ferry and harbor tour vessels in New York Harbor and throughout the Northeast; licensed and unlicensed mariners who work on dredges; and maritime industry shore-side clerical and service workers. In addition, it operates two training facilities: the Maritime Institute of Technology & Graduate Studies near Baltimore, Maryland; and the Pacific Northwest Maritime Institute, in Seattle, Washington. It operates hiring halls in port cities in the continental United States, Hawaii and Puerto Rico. MM&P's historical roots lie in the frustration felt by steamship pilots who were criminalized for marine accidents but had no voice in policy. They organized in New York in 1887, forming the first local of the American Brotherhood of Steamship Pilots. As more locals were founded, shipmasters expressed interest in joining. As a result, in 1891, the fledgling union changed its name to the American Association of Masters and Pilots of Steam Vessels. In 1900, it expanded once again to include all deck officers, and changed its name to the American Association of Masters, Mates, and Pilots of Steam Vessels. MM&P was active in the 1934 West Coast waterfront strike, joining in along with the Marine Engineers' Beneficial Association (MEBA) on 19 May 1934. Together, in 1937 the two unions became part of the Maritime Federation of the Pacific (MFP). The alliance, however, was short-lived. In July 1938, MM&P withdrew from the MFP, along with the Sailors' Union of the Pacific and the Marine Firemen, Oilers, Watertenders, and Wipers of the Pacific Coast Union. In 1954, the union added Canadian locals, and changed its name to the International Organization of Masters, Mates & Pilots. In 1971, by becoming an affiliate of the International Longshoremen's Association, MM&P was able to distance itself from the fight between the American Federation of Labor's (AFL) Seafarers International Union on one side and the Congress of Industrial Organizations's (CIO) National Maritime Union (NMU) on the other. The link has sometimes been tenuous: some 17 years later, when NMU joined MEBA, MM&P very nearly followed suit.
International Organization of Masters, Mates, and Pilots, Local 6 (Seattle, Wash.) Records, 1964-1966 At the Labor Archives of Washington State, University of Washington Libraries Special Collections Guide to the Vernon R. Stedman Papers. 1933-1972. 1.21 cubic feet (2 boxes).
Streckfus Steamers issued this pin 1.20 inches in diameter that was probably intended to be given to honored guests who visited the pilot house of the PRESIDENT and were privileged to "steer" for a while under close supervision.
Way's Packet Directory Number 4578
Sidewheel Excursion boat
Built in1924 at Midland, Pennsylvania (hull)
Formerly the CINCINNATI
Owned by Streckfus Steamers, Captain Verne Streckfus (master)  New Orleans Steamboat Company 
After being sold to Streckfus Steamers, she received an entire new superstructure and came out on July 4, 1934 as the best excursion boat on the rivers. She could carry 3,100 passengers. In 1944, after she became the full-time excursion boat in New Orleans, her guards were glass-enclosed. In 1978 she was converted to diesel.
After serving as a casino boat at Davenport during the 1990's she was retired and replaced. The party who bought the PRESIDENT planned to turn her into a hotel so she was dismantled and the pieces taken far from the river to a location near St. Elmo, Illinois where she sat for two years unassembled until the pieces were moved to Altamont, Illinois where the parts began to disintegrate. Finally the parts were sold as scrap. Bill Wundram in the June 29, 2015 edition of the Quad City Times wrote an informative biography of the PRESIDENT that told her story on up to her inglorious finale. Here is the link to the online version of Bill's article: qctimes.com
With the exception of images credited to public institutions,
everything on this page is from a private collection.
Please contact Steamboats.com for permission for commercial use.*